Marinated Calamari Salad
Makes: 6 servings
- 2 tsp best-quality red wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- sea salt
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into matchstick strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into matchstick strips
- 2 small zucchini, cut into medium cubes
- 4 Tbsp finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley or chervil
- 1/8 tsp hot red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb squid, cleaned and sliced into thin rings (inclusing tentacles)
- In a medium sized glass bowl, combine the vinegar and 1 tsp of the lemon juice. Add salt to taste and stir to dissolve it. Add 3 tablespoons of the oil, the tomatoes, green and yellow bell peppers, zucchini, parsley or chervil, pepper flakes, thyme and scallions, and stir to blend. Set aside.
- Put 3 quarts of water into a large saucepan. When the water reaches a boil, add 2 tablespoons salt. Add the squid rings and tentacles. Cook just until the squid becomes opaque, not more than 1 minute (the water may not return to boil). When they are cooked, turn the squid out into a large colander; drain well, but do not rinse.
- Immediately add the drained squid to the marinade and toss to blend. Stir in the remaining olive oil and 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Taste the mixture and add salt to taste as necessary. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.
- Arrange a large lettuce leaf on each of 6 small salad plates, and divide the salad between the plates; or present the dish similarly on a serving platter.