Mixed Green Salad
In Florence you'll find it on restaurant menu's as Catherine de Medici's Salad (Insalata di Caterina) or as a renaissance salad, history books say it used to be Catherine's favorite salad. You'll have to eyeball the quantities on this one, since I've never measured them.
- mixed salad greens (lettuce, chicory, corn salad, radicchio, etc. - at least 3 varieties)
- soft Tuscan pecorino cheese
- hardboiled eggs (1/2 per person), sliced
- anchovies packed in oil
- red wine vinegar
- extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Wash the different varieties of salad (at least 3), dry well and place in a large salad bowl (a wooden bowl is ideal and typical for this dish).
- Add the pecorino cut into small cubes or slices, little pieces of anchovy fillet and a few capers.
- Salt, pepper lightly and dress with oil and vinegar, toss well and serve immediately, decorated with slices of hardboiled eggs.