Schiacciata alla Fiorentina (Florentine sponge cake)
This is a delicious spongy cake, popular around Carnival time in February but now found year-round, particularly in shops in downtown Florence.
Makes: 12 servings
- 250g all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil (or 50g lard)
- 1 cup milk
- grated orange peel from 1 orange
- ½ tsp saffron powder
- 90g sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ tsp salt
- powdered sugar to decorate
- In a medium bowl, mix all of the ingredients and beat thoroughly until the batter is smooth and thick with no lumps.
- Grease a shallow rectangular baking pan and pour in the batter (the schiacciata should be about 2 cm high). Bake at 150°c for 30 minutes. Sprinkle plenty of powdered sugar on top of the cake.
If you want and have a sweet tooth, you can slice the cake and fill it with whipped cream or frosting.