These are really yummy, I eat lots when these are prepared, either by my mother-in-law or myself.
Makes: 8 servings
- 8 almost ripe tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley
- ½ Tbsp chopped basil
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- 1 tsp dried oregano (optional)
- salt and ground pepper
- Cut tomatoes in half, with a spoon carve out the pulp and seeds and collect pulp in a bowl. Lightly salt the inside of the tomatoes and turn them, cut side down, onto paper towels.
- Combine the chopped garlic, parsley and basil with the tomato pulp and seeds. Add the olive oil, grated cheese, bread crumbs and salt and pepper to taste. Add the oregano if you want. Mix well to combine.
- Take tomato halves and stuff with mixture. Take a wide skillet and slightly cover bottom with olive oil and some water. Place tomato halves side by side, and cover. Cook covered for about 30 minutes over low-medium heat, adding a little bit of water to the skillet if necessary. Tomatoes are done when the bottom of the tomatoes feel soft; check by sticking a toothpick through the center of the center tomatoes.