My mother in law makes this rich tasting cake for special occassions, like for Easter Sunday. It is so good I think it deserves to be made much more often!
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter
- 1 egg + 4 yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1 2/3 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup less two tablespoons peeled almonds and pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- Halve the pine nuts crosswise, and peel and sliver the almonds. Preheat the oven to 350°F (about 180°C).
- Melt the butter. In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs and the sugar until the mixture turns pale yellow. Add the lemon rind, the flour a bit at a time, the butter, and, finally, the baking powder.
- Pour the batter into 9-inch baking pan that has been buttered and dusted with flour and powdered sugar; sprinkle the surface of the cake with the nuts. Bake the cake for about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out dry (it will also begin to pull away from the sides of the pan).
- Once the Mantovana has cooled, dust it with powdered sugar and serve. It goes quite well with dessert wine.